Tuesday, June 15, 2010

First Impressions

So after my long nap due to jet lag (which I still have not recovered from) I decided to take a walk around the neighborhood with my roommate to find local supermarkets. It had just rained (currently monsoon season).

Lesson 1: Don't wear flip flops after heavy rain in a muddy area

The streets (although paved) were transformed into mud rivers and the flip flops served to catapult bits of mud all over my backside. Classy.

After returning to the guesthouse to clean up, the guy who lives/works there made us dinner. He is young (probably late teens, early 20s) and his job is to always be at the guesthouse, to clean up and make us dinner. He is from Nepal and speaks no English, and he sleeps on the floor of the living room. He can't leave the guesthouse for longer than 10 minutes at a time since no one has the key to the place so he must always be available to open the door day or night. Its very strange, I feel bad for him, he spends all day watching TV and he's literally confined here.

The night was uneventful, aside from the 5 inch millipede I found racing around the bathroom. Yea that didn't go so well. It was the middle of the night so I had to silence my squeals as I murdered it with my flip flops (yes the same ones). Needless to say I did not sleep well that night, visions of tiny legs danced in my head.

Coming soon - first day of work.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the flip flops advice. Always worth having a pair handy to deal with insects of all shapes and colors :)! How was the supermarket? LB